Wednesday, April 15, 2015

And lets try this again!! Headed out on Saturday

will be going to an area not far from Tonto Creek Az, which is about 20 miles east of Payson Az.

There is an area on the road that you pass through called "Little Green Valley" and a turn off to the south that leads to Forest Road 405.  Down that road a short distance, is a trail-head into Hellsgate Wilderness, there is NO camping at that trail-head, but after you have passed it, there are occasional areas on the north side of the road where you could pull off and vehicle camp for a time.

I'm going past that a bit.. if you follow the road far enough you come to 2 campgrounds.. One is down at the Tonto Creek, in a deep canyon, and I don't recommend that folks go there with a heavy vehicle, or pulling a trailer.. but on top of the hill before you head down there is another campground near Bearhide spring (it's name eludes me at the moment)

That is where I will be setting up, and doing some hiking, further sorting what to put in my pack, and exploring the area.. it is my intent to hike to Tonto Creek, Cross country.. which could be interesting and a test of my orienteering skills!

I do not yet have a method to cook when out hiking, still working on what I'm willing to do in that respect, but as long as the vehicle is in the area, I have options.  Also, fire restrictions have not yet been put in place this year, so I can make a campfire if needed!

6 comments:

  1. Yes!
    Before you know it you will consider yourself a real hiker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Always, but already rethinking what I had in mind.. dont know that Tori is up for a major hike anymore.. so probably will just keep it easier for her.

      Delete
  4. Steven, I found your name through the documentary.good stuff! hope you are well. be safe and tell people where you are going. leave a note in your truck. .i am sure you know this already. I took an exploratory trip from VT to CO. 12 days, just got back. Being alone for a quest was good for the first 5 days, then i missed my hubby..i think i need a friend to travel with. share gas and watch out for each other..me being a pretty female.. i took too much stuff in my Honda Element .It was un organized..I learned. there is hot water everywhere! just go to the restroom in a big place, bring some insulated water bottles in your pack, and then when you get set up it's still hot enough to wash with. I didn't have to burn propane to heat water on my stove.!!
    I made a good sleeping platform. and that was comfy! i was kind of afraid to sleep out in the forest. over come the fear..it will happen! the truck stops and parking lots are noisy. I am not afraid at home when i camp. hum..baby steps. spent too much on gas. and always felt i had to be driving..couldn't settle for more than a day. or a half day! learning to be free again. Next trip a little longer. Where? Arizona, Nevada? lots of gas money for me to get there. need to find a ride share person I can drop off out west. would love to meet you and Bob and the nice older folks one day. be well. i am saving up money and re thinking my gear. i may get a tiny trailer. if i can afford one. a tear drop, but i like the Element as is as it is a normal looking suv. I have a problem with cold weather. so not sure how to live on the road. my fibromyalgia;gia gets very painfull when the weather is cool. Are the nights really cold in AZ like i hear? I know it snows in flagstaff. is it better south of there? never been! my other idea is flying to puerto vallarta as my brother lives there and i could stay the winter on not much cash .i am too afraid to drive all that way alone. and gas would be way to espensive, figuring out my travel options as winter is coming and i get ill in the cold and life is to short to not solve problems and live a happier les pain life. my body says warm weather and i have to go. will miss hubby buy since we have not sold the house yet he can't quit his job.! it's been 2 years and no offers..I may need to try a "go fund me" to raise enough to pay the mortgage so we can get free of this. I have too many health problems to be stuck in a house i do not want , life is short and i have family i want to spend time with. bestto you..maybe see you on the road!

    ReplyDelete