Friday, December 26, 2014

Book Review. "Into a Desert Place"

Overall, I enjoyed this one, though it is a bit dated at this point..  Its the story of a Scottish gentleman that decided he wanted to walk along the coastline of the Baja Peninsula...  talk about an excursion!! :)

it covers his initial efforts to get geared up and find some funding, as well as his early efforts at getting published with no experiance or contacts when starting out.. The tales of his walk are enjoayble and written in such a way that it's easy to picture what is going on and how he feels about it all.. I do think that he glosses over some areas of the hike more than I would, but then I tend to appreciate the natural world more than I do encounters with people.

what I dont know is if the dynamics of culture have changed so much since his writing that a walker would no longer receive the warm welcome that he did in so many places by the residents of Baja.  he seemed to live a charmed life in that respect for the most part, with very few people issues.

In time, he picked up a Burro to help carry the load, but for the most part he went out and did it himself with only what he was able to carry.. I have alot of respect for that.  he had the courage and tenacity that I'm still trying to find within myself!

if your a hiker, or interested in long hiking.. I would recommend it! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the suggestion! You might also like http://www.amazon.com/Kindness-Strangers-Penniless-Across-America-ebook/dp/B004183KI6/ref=sr_1_1_ha?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1432138233&sr=1-1&keywords=the+kindness+of+strangers

    ReplyDelete